Computers for Charities is a big-hearted project. Based in Sussex, UK and bursting at the seams as it seeks to service the thousands of opportunities in the IT-world. CFC seeks to respond to as many of the 20,000 international requests it receives each year.
Container loads of useful equipment, along with expertise, are sent to projects of integrity in Africa and elsewhere. In the UK, CFC is pioneering a “hands-on” education project using computer technology in selected prisons.
An immediate way you could join in this generous adventure is to actively collect surplus or used mobile phones. Of the millions of discarded or surplus phones hanging around in the UK, only about 4% are actively recycled. Why not rescue this valuable resource and turn it into a useful asset with CFC.
Celebrating 21 years of support to Charities & Community 1994 – 2016
Computers for Charities roots go back to 1992 though 1994 saw the wheels beginning to turn. Over this period CfC has handled in excess of 250,000 computer systems, benefitting numerous projects and organisations across the UK and 106 countries worldwide.
CfC as developers not only refurbishes donated equipment to the highest level, but also conceives and operates home grown programmes to aid the disadvantaged, as with African schools on Line an integrated educational program providing computer access and curriculum development to over 100,000 children plus adult learning.
I.T Support to UK Charities and Voluntary organisations, is how it all began and remains a core part of our work.
Since 1994 there has been a progression from sheds, Garages, Barns, rental & Leases.
Our volunteers are simply amazing, and not just young things. Average age is 60+, though we do have some youngsters, especially those we support through our work expereince program and EU schools program Erasmus. (Over 200 so far)
Volunteers give their time, skills and expertise, let alone the lengths they go to, just get here. Edgar comes all the way from East End London once a week giving 4 hours, Ronan from Littlehampton 40 miles each way, Colin a carer and disabled himelf takes a bus from Hastings on a weekly basis. People give what they can, when they can… No contracts or pressure, we remain so very grateful.
- Volunteering opportunities UK: From day one it has been thanks to the committed support of our dedicated Volunteer base that so much has been achieved. Age is immaterial our Volunteers range from 16 – 99 years from varying backgrounds, ability and experience.
- Hailsham, East Sussex workshop and office: Volunteers currently needed include: Admin support, Handy person for repair and Maintainence, Van Drivers for local and London collections (Aged 25+, Clean driving licence), Network engineers, Laptop repairers, Computers hardware expereince, Warehouse support, Packers, Knitters and more. Hours to suite
- Homeworking / Link people needed nationally; Educationalists / Teachers, Networking Techies, Graphic / Web Designers, Local Collectors or drop off locations, Fund Raisers and more.
- Internships: Applications for Internships welcome
- Work Experience: CfC provides work experience opportunities for Colleges and students locally and from EU member countries. Job Centres and other agencies. ( Please note: Students must be aged 16+)
Volunteering – Professional & Unskilled needed: Do you have a skill? Can you help us? Marketing, Journalist, Doctor, Mechanic, Teacher, Scientist, Psychologist, Joiner, etc. Our wide ranging projects require access to various skills for advice / information. Time, input and demands are marginal but much needed.
Interested please sign up and join our skills database. CfC responds to varying needs i.e Humanitarian, Educational, employment, Health, Water, etc.
Interested, need more information drop us your details Email or call: (+44) 01323 848588
If you would like to know more about CFC check out their website or get in touch with me for their details.